This tutorial only target PIC18F4550, please look for correct driver/bootloader for IC if you are not targeting PIC18F4550 as your Pinguino.
- There are a lot of PIC chips supported for Pinguino. User may refer to http://wiki.pinguino.cc/index.php/Main_Page to choose other PIC chip.
- First, we choose correct bootloader for PIC18F4550.
- Bootloader is a small program that pre-program to chip so that it can help user to transfer user’s program to chip by using USB port.
- If the board was homemade, user needs to program bootloader by using PIC programmer.
- Goto https://github.com/PinguinoIDE/pinguino-bootloaders to get version 4.x bootloader. Search keyword “Bootloader_v4.14_18f4550_X20MHz“, right-click the link and select “save link as…” then save it to “C:\pinguino-11\“.
- Use PIC programmer to program bootloader into the chip.
- Now, put your chip back to board and connect to USB port of computer.
- Click reset button of the board.
- User should see this below picture once the reset button was released.
- And then it will automatically change to this a few minutes later.
- Goto device manager and look for P8 device. If user unable to see the P8 device, select “View” and click “Show hidden devices“.
- Pinguino’s IDE does not recognize P8 driver until we installed Pinguino driver.
Installation of Unsigned Driver in Win8 or Win10:
- Pinguino driver is an unsigned driver, we need to disable driver enforcement signature in order to install it. Follow this link to disable the enforcement.
- Next, go to “C:\Program Files\LibUSB-Win32\bin” and click “inf-wizard“. If user does not see this folder, please refer to here and follow the steps.
- Press again the reset button after “inf-wizard” appears and select the following item.
- There is another pop-up to ask user to save the .inf driver file. Create a folder name “P8_driver” in “C:\pinguino-11“. Save this .inf file in that folder.
- Do not click “Install Now” after the saving, click “Done” instead.
- Goto Device manager and right click “P8“. Select “Update driver software“.
- Select “Browse my computer for driver software” and then point to the directory/folder that save .inf files just now. Click “Next“.
- If there is a warning box pop-up. Select “Install this driver software anyway“.
- User will see P8 driver in Device manager changed to known driver under “libusb-win32 device“.